About the Trip
Here’s how our programs in Ghana have progressed:
- 2015: Provide primary care clinics to assess needs.
- 2016: Provide primary care clinics alongside local healthcare workers, mentor local nursing students through each C.U.R.E. Clinic Station and make referrals to local health care facilities for continuity of care.
- 2017: Provide Health Fair Clinics to patients with health screenings and educations; provide vitamins and de-worming for all patients; refer patients to local health care facilities with their diagnosis from basic screenings and labs.
- 2018: Provide Health Fair Clinics to provide patients with health screenings and education; provide vitamins and de-worming for all patients; refer patients to local health care facilities with their diagnosis from basic screenings and labs – The 2017 Health Fair Clinics were a big success!
- 2019: Provide Health Fair Clinics to provide patients with health screenings and education, vitamins and de-worming for all patients, and refer patients to local health facilities with their diagnosis from basic screenings & labs.
Make new friends, learn more about local cultures and embark on the adventure of a lifetime, all while influencing and improving the local healthcare systems and giving back by supporting corporate social responsibility efforts! This trip is not one to be missed!
About the Health Fair Clinic
The Health Fair Clinic will include: intake, vitals, testing (glucose, rapid urinary, pregnancy malaria), vitamins and de-worming, patient educations (malaria prevention and treatment, hypertension education and treatment, stretching and pain management), wound care, reading glasses and a limited pharmacy.
We are looking for 18-24 volunteers to help run our health fairs! Doctors, nurses, PA’s, NP’s, physical therapists, EMT’s, medical students and non-medical volunteers are encouraged to apply! We are able to use a variety of skill sets to run this health fair clinic. We aim to see more than 500 patients a day with this model! ** Please note – ALL applicants must have a CPR or BLS certification to participate in this trip.
About the Country
The Republic of Ghana is located in western Africa along the Gulf of Guinea and the Atlantic Ocean. It was the first African nation to declare independence from its European colonizers. Ghana’s high standard of education and ideal geographic location has allowed it to develop quickly and create a multitude of trade and other international relationships. The country itself is highly developed and works to balance its rapid development with the preservation of its rich landscape.
Ahafo and Akyem are located in central Ghana near the Brong-Ahafo Region, which is known for its agriculture, cocoa production and wildlife attractions. A hub of the Ghanaian culture, this region is bordered by water features to the north and east and boasts with many nature preserves and other natural attractions. The region is home to several of Ghana’s many institutions of higher education.
About the Program Cost
Your tax-deductible donation to participate in a Project C.U.R.E. Clinics Trip to Ghana is $800. This cost covers all accommodations, meals, clean water, and transportation, including internal airfare, buses/cars/taxies, fuel costs, drivers, tips, and boats/ferries (when applicable) once in-country. Program costs also include the coverage of translators, medications, C.U.R.E. Kits, Kits for Kids, travel and evacuation insurance, Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the State Department, medical license transfer procedures, departure travel packet with Project C.U.R.E. scrub set, and all associated shipping costs. Additionally, tour guides and small touristic excursions/activities are included. Please note alcohol, internet access, laundry and personal souvenirs are not covered in the program cost.
You will have the opportunity to arrange your own international airfare to and from Ghana. You will be responsible for all costs associated with visas and immunizations. Your team leader will meet you in the baggage claim area of the Accra (Kotoka) International Airport (ACC), and from there you will travel together to your accommodations. Suggested flight itineraries can be found HERE.
Sample Trip Itinerary
Donate to C.U.R.E. Clinics & Make a Difference!
Your donation will help cover the expenses for you or another medical volunteer to serve and treat the most vulnerable patients, families and children around the world while helping us deliver health & hope to those that need it most. Every dollar you donate makes a big difference!
- Your $25 Donation will help cure 500 patients of intestinal worms that consume 30% of daily nutrients in patients that are usually already lacking proper nourishment.
- Your $50 Donation provides reading glasses for 100 patients.
- Your $500 Donation provides rapid malaria tests for 100 patients–allowing them to receive proper treatment and avoid potential death or permanent disability.
- Your $1,000 Donation provides 9 months’ worth of essential prenatal vitamins for 25 women. These imperative vitamins help prevent issues like spina bifida in babies and anemia in moms while supporting the proper development of the baby.